Avoid Costly Home Buying Mistakes
At MABA, our mission is to inform, educate and be a home buyer's advocate throughout the home buying process. Avoid these common twelve mistakes to save you time, money and headaches. One of our MABA members, Tom Wemett, who is a nationally known author, instructor, and buyer representation specialist developed this content in its revised format specifically for MABA.* He has earned several industry recognized designations including:
- ABR - Accredited Buyer Representative
- CEBA - Certified Exclusive Buyer Agent
- CBR - Certified Buyer Representative
- CBA - Certified Buyer Agent
- CRS - Certified Residential Specialist
- GRI - Graduate Realtor® Institute.
12 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Home
- Mistake #1 - Not Reviewing Your Credit History
- Mistake #2 - Not Understanding Financing Options or Getting Pre-Approved For a Mortgage
- Mistake #3 - Not Having A Clear Idea of One’s Needs and Wants
- Mistake #4 - Not Setting Realistic Goals
- Mistake #5 - Not Becoming Familiar With the Market For Homes in the Area Being Considered
- Mistake #6 - Not looking at or Considering “All” Homes Available That Meet Your Requirements
- Mistake #7 - Not Working With the Right Agent
- Mistake #8 - Not Having a Negotiating Strategy in Mind Before Making an Offer
- Mistake #9 - Failure to Include Contingencies for Property and Mechanical Systems Inspections
- Mistake #10 - Failure to Include Other Contingencies in the Purchase Offer and Contract
- Mistake #11 - Failure to Continue to Monitor and Follow-up
- Mistake #12 - Failure to Prepare For and Foresee Problems at Closing Time
*Disclaimer - This book is designed to provide information about the subject matter covered. It is provided with the understanding that the publisher and author are not engaged in rendering legal, accounting or other professional services. If legal or other expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional should be sought.
Every effort has been made to make this book as complete and as accurate as possible. However, there may be mistakes both typographical and in content. Therefore, this text should be used only as a general guide and not as the ultimate source of information about buying a home.
The purpose of this book is to educate and entertain. The publisher and author shall have neither liability nor responsibility to any person or entity with respect to any loss or damage caused or alleged to be caused directly or indirectly by the information contained in this book. If you do not wish to be bound by the above, please stop reading now.
© 2010 - Tom Wemett
All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or by any information storage and retrieval system without written permission from the author, except for the inclusion of brief quotations in a review.